This article is intended for persons using the standard SQL Express Edition Database included with Procare. If you have your own SQL server or the Procare Data Hosting service this does not apply.
The automated backup copy runs as part of a service in Windows and is not tied to a particular user log on. There may be cases where a user has necessary permissions, but a service does not. It may not work in all situations. If the backup copy fails it will fail silently without any message or alert. Be sure to check your external location regularly to make sure backups are being copied as expected.
Before You Begin
You must have the Procare Licensing Service for version 10.2.4177 or higher. Just having that version of Procare installed does not guarantee the correct Licensing Service. If your SQLConfig file does NOT have a tab for "Offsite Backup" (as described below) you will need to Install the Server Patch
Enable Backup Copy
- At the main computer (server) browse to the folder C:\Program Files\Procare\Server.
- Dbl-click the file SQLConfig (it may say SQLConfig.exe).
- Click the Offsite Backup tab. If you do not have this tab you must install the Server Patch described above.
- Check the box to Enable Offsite Backup Copies.
- Enter a File Prefix (optional). The prefix will be appended to the beginning of the backup file name.
- Choose to copy backups to a Folder/Drive or an FTP site.
- For a Folder type in or browse to the location. If you're using an external drive, like a USB thumb drive, that device must be connect to the server anytime a backup is made. If not the copy will fail silently. You will not be alerted. Be aware that Windows may assign a different drive letter to the same device each time it is connected which may cause the copy to fail. To avoid this you may wish to keep the USB drive, or other device, connected at all times.
- For an FTP Site supply the location such as ftp.mysite.com or an IP address with the appropriate Username and Password to connect to your site. Enter the Directory name to which the backup should be transmitted.
- Click Verify, then Save & Exit.
Note: You may need to restart the computer, or manually stop and restart the Licensing Service for your change to take effect.
- Make a Backup. Then check to see if it was successfully copied to your specified location.
tags: offsite backup, off site backup, backup to ftp, ftp backup, back up to ftp, ftp back up, copy backup, copy back up, online backup, online back up